Whether you have a large plot or a small patio garden to work with, fresh veggies and herbs that highlight different countries around the globe are both fun and functional. Some tips:
- When designing a cultural garden, choose only a few edibles — specifically the ones you cook with most. You can always add on or switch out plants.
- Consider how much sun the proposed site receives in a given day. Most edibles need around eight hours a day to thrive.
- Edge edibles with ornamentals to keep the look pleasing and pretty. Just consider any ornamental plant’s growth habit, so they don’t end up eventually overshadowing low-growing vegetables and herbs.
- Include one vertical grower, which provides interest. Cucumbers, heirloom tomatoes, and pole beans are good considerations.
Ooh la la. A high-style potager (kitchen garden) featuring these favorite French goodies is tres magnifique!
- Alpine strawberry
- Culinary lavender
- French green bean
- White asparagus
Cook up the freshest fare around with these must-have ingredients. The number of chili varieties out there is endless — choose a few to spice up your life.
- Chili pepper (jalapeno, po
- Heirloom corn
- Heirloom squash (summer and winter)
- Red Mexican bush bean
The vegetables and herbs in this region are as varied as the cuisine itself.
- Broccoli raab
- Cipollini onion
- Fava bean
- Heirloom cantaloupe
- Italian parsley
- Roma tomato
- Romaine lettuce
- Savoy cabbage
- Sweet basil
These exciting vegetables may be used in stir-fries and salads, or to accompany Chinese dishes. Use fermented cabbage in kimchi.
- Bitter melon
- Bok choy
- Green onion
- Napa cabbage
- Snow peas
- Thai basil
If you get a chance, visit the Cleveland Cultural Garden in Cleveland, Ohio. Featuring 31 gardens that are each inspired by a different ethnic group — Polish, Greek, Italian, German, Hebrew, Irish, Chinese, African-American, and Indian, to name a few — the Cleveland Cultural Garden in Rockefeller Park is a must-stop destination in Ohio. For more information, visit culturalgardens.org.