The National Resources Defense Council states that 90% of what you pay for a bottle of water goes towards packaging, shipping and advertising. The bottles usually end up in the landfill where they take thousands of years to decompose. Also many of the purchased flavored waters contain coloring, sugars and other unhealthy agents. So toss the bottles, save money and mix up your own. Try these flavors over ice on a hot summer day – many of the ingredients may be in your garden or at your local farmers market!
1. Strawberry, Lemon, and Basil
2. Orange and Blueberry – To fully fuse the flavors, combine the ingredients in a pitcher and let them sit for up to a day before drinking
3. Watermelon and Mint
4. Citrus and Cucumber
5. Strawberry, Lime, and Cucumber – To fully fuse the flavors, combine the ingredients in a pitcher and let them sit for up to a day before drinking
6. Citrus and Cilantro
7. Rosemary and Grapefruit
8. Raspberry, Rose Petal, and Vanilla. This combo steeps for a day, and the berries and petals are strained out before drinking
9. Blueberry and Lavender
Agua frescas typically call for added sugar, but adjust the sweetness depending on your taste or leave it out entirely.
10. Cantaloupe Agua Fresca with Honey and Mint.
11. Kiwi and Cucumber Agua Fresca.
12. Honeydew & Raspberry Agua Fresca. Blend chunks of honeydew until they are liquified, then balanced out with water, fresh lime juice, and sugar. Garnish with tart raspberries.
13. Watermelon Coconut Agua Fresca. Coconut water gives this version a lightly sweetened base.
14. Champagne Mango and Lime – Champagne mangos bring the party!
Written by Mary Learman
Posted by Rachel